Sunday, September 26, 2010

Marinading Deer

I have been told and read many ways to marinate deer, venison, meat.  Supposedly soaking it in milk overnight is suppose to get rid of the wild flavor and tenderize it.  I have tried this, and I guess it was alright.  I have mixed up different marinade recipes, bought marinades and tried them.  It wasn't until about ten years ago that I found the perfect deer marinade to soak my meat in and to cook with.

Depending on whether I intend to grill deer steaks, cook a roast or make barbque is what determines which marinade I use.  For steaks and for roasts or shish-kabob meat I have found that marinading overnight in a can of coke makes for some of the tenderess, best flavored deer meat you have ever tasted.  When I am barbqueing the venison or wanting it have a slightly sweet flavor, I use Dr. Pepper for my marinade.  Works great and tastes even better.

For variations on this, I have used coke and beer combined with seasonings such as garlic and pepper added.  I have also tried using Mountain Dew and Root Beer for my barbque, but I prefer the Dr. Pepper. 

When I am cooking a roast, I do not drain the soda and marinade off the roast before cooking, I cook the roast in the marinade and add more Dr. Pepper as needed to keep the roast from cooking down dry.

Deer marinades which only add flavor or only tenderize are not enough.  I prefer one which I can count on the flavor being extraordinarily delicious and not wild as well as for it to melt in my mouth - I don't want to have to go get out the chain saw to cut my meat!  Check it out - you won't regret it I promise!


Just Me - Granny D

No comments:

Post a Comment