Friday, October 15, 2010

Hawaiian Stuffed Quail, Pheasant,& Rock Cornish Hens

I love this recipe - it is a favorite of mine - I have even doubled the recipe and used it to stuff turkeys. Hawaiian stuffed quail, pheasant and rock cornish hens is a recipe I originally found in a recipe book which listed it for stuffing chicken breasts - I adapted it and changed a few things from the original and came up with my own version which I use in fowl of all types - not just chicken breasts. Everyone I have served it too this way has found it to be a refreshing and delicious entree.

Hawaiian Stuffed Fowl

2/3 c. hot water
2 T margarine
2 C Stove top dressing, chicken flavor or cornbread stuffing
1 (8 1/4-oz) can crushed pineapple with syrup
1/2 med. green pepper, chopped
1/2 med. red pepper, chopped ( I use 1/2 C of my home canned chopped pepper relish which are canned in a bread and butter pickle juice recipe of mine, also if I use the pepper relish then I also use 2 T of the pickle juice in place of the vinegar)
2 T brown sugar
2 T vinegar (I use either a plain white vinegar or a garlic and red wine vinegar - if using the garlic and red wine vinegar I also add 1 t. minced garlic)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, macadamian nuts or almonds

4 small birds - your choice - quail, pheasant, rock cornish, chicken breasts, turkey (if you increase the recipe)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix hot water, margarine in bowl, stir in stuffing, peppers, nuts, half of the pineapple and syrup. Stuff birds cavities or for breasts - spoon stuffing evenly on chicken and roll tightly, securing with toothpicks. Place in baking pan with any remaining stuffing in the center of the birds in the pan.  Mix remaining syrup, pineapple, sugar, vinegar and ginger (minced garlic if using).  Spoon over birds. Bake 45 minutes or until thoroughly cooked - approx. 30 minutes for stuffed breasts. 

This really is a good recipe - I give it 2 thumbs up, 5 stars and say ENJOY!!!!!

Just Me - Granny D

No comments:

Post a Comment